Monday, November 13, 2006

The Chance Meeting

The Chance Meeting

After years of lines have paled
what we had at once recognized
in each other's faces
on that fatal October day
of fundamental misunderstandings

you should see me
wearing that black leather jacket
once again,
and that scarf of the colour of fire
and feel disoriented for a second

then come sit across from me
pleased to find me converted to Nabokov
and tell me about your latest poem
to which one day I might write the annotation

and I will tell you how I
the intrepid traveller, travelled on for our sake
and share with you the horror stories
of which you had had a glimpse
once on a visit, that had left you cold and looking for other pastures.

Toasting your success and my failed defection
we shall drink our afternoon tea

If only

1 comment:

deebee518 said...

Thank you for the annotation, you are so poignantly lyrical in this poem.....