Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Srebrenica

When after cleansing the town of Muslims MladiƧ, close to tears, says "Today we take revenge for Kosovo" I see the map of Europe crumble before my very eyes. Gone is my beloved England and the pretty lace of the low countries, they just disintegrate, Rome remains, maybe. I see the Balkans rise up to the skies. Russia to the north remains, maybe. All I can clearly see is this stretch from Kosovo to Istanbul, blotting out everything. All that has ever happened since 1389 becomes a footnote.
Henri Bernard Levy said Europe died in Sarajevo. I think history died in Srebrenica.

1 comment:

deebee518 said...

This is beautiful, I think Balkans in the 90's beseeched Europe to face its irrationality, its monstrosity, its beastiality within. Has it? I think no.