Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A Boston Encounter

Ecce Polis! We are riding a tram, huddled into a wintercoats, and we're returning from seeing a nice play in a nice university town. There are a group of girls frolicking at the back, singing, dancing and my companion asks me whether I remember a time being so carefree and doing such things. "Well, a couple of weeks ago when I was in London..." I start to tell her. She is an established psychologist and has been telling me about her patients half of whom happen to be musicians - professional or amateur. She sees one of them at the metro station now and then. By this time the girls have turned up their volume and the Rabindranath Marx looking guy sitting in front of me who has been listening to our conversation revolving around the play (Beckett's End Game) since we got on the tram with eager interest now starts to make eyes at me. No, of course not that way, he's got his girlfriend by his side but Rabindranath, let's call him Ed, with his Marxist beard and grey tweed coat suggesting the 1930's thinks me, for some reason, equally inconvenienced as he is by the girls. He probably has guessed that I have been sending Embittered Marxists left and right on facebook and wants to capitalize on this familiarity.
Then the girls leave. He takes a theatrical sigh of relief, clasps his master of the revels hands together and announces, bass "Now, our next act..."
"Yourself maybe" I venture.
At the next stop, taking a half bow, he gets off the tram.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this one :)

and of course snap and will be playing Tennis to relax with his smoking friend he announced to me sunday over a meal of greek salad without feta but strawberries and papaya.

Now what does Greece consist of?

nagihun said...

Oh God!the image of that salad now turns my stomach. We were excellent looking on the bright side and looking back now I am quite proud how gingerly we managed to eat it- of course double proud of you that you are keeping it up :-) A smoke between the sets- now that's what I would call style