Saturday, August 01, 2009

Reporting from Antandrus, the Aegean Coast

Having recently read in the Tatler that when it comes to beachwear you cannot beat the triangular bikini (market research I was carrying out for a friend of a friend) I headed down to the Aegean with my family who had packed up my beach-bag for me because I was otherwise engaged in northern climes. This is our first experience at a mixed-beach, and strangely one that caters to practicing Muslims. Which means there are a lot of what has been named 'burqinis' on the ground.
What my mother chose to buy for me is a very orange affair that no doubt would qualify me for the national Indian hijabi swimming team. Baggy trousers and a loose long sleeved top with a zipper that looks like a footballer's training suit- which, it turns out, is very last year, or very last decade as I discovered on the beach when I saw all manner of burquinis, from the very sporty looking to the dandy.

No comments: