Monday, August 28, 2006

summer rain- postcolonial creatures

The cool weather and the dark skies brings back memories which have been pushed into a corner in the crowd, which I have not had time to contemplate...

I sit at a crowded table in a Thai restaurant and the smiling (but nice) waiter brings me my diluted ginger tea-- it is in fact just ginger and hot water. The Southafrican by my side is inspired and orders one herself, I tell her to ask them to dilute it from the start. I put some lemon into it, and try to chat up the Anglo-Irish guy on my left, but he's not forthcoming. I see that his attention is fixed on the slanted eye Austrian beauty (surely she has some Oriental ancestry), but she's too far away to speak, it's a very noisy joint. Then the Southafrican and the English guy diagonal from me start talking about a conference in Joberg, and I listen as if all the names should be known to me. I know Joseph Conrad alright, but that's about it. Then the Southafrican lady turns to me once again and asks me if I find it difficult to find halal food in Germany. I whine. The slanted eye Austrian beauty eyes me, I don't know whether to play the good neighbour or the nasty exile. I turn the topic unto the Nünnings, it never fails in a German speaking context. Then the Austrian beauty and I exchange compliments concerning our accents, and with her lovely accent the Southafrican lady joins in. The Austrian beauty blushes a little, it will be sometime yet before she gets used to it, it seems. The Southafrican lady is a professor and wears what looks like a hautecouture skirt. I love. She tries to lift my bag and is appalled at the weight. It's my old laptop inside.

It is infernally cold outside and the hot ginger has opened my sinuses. I imagine what it will be like if I breath that in, and decide to take a taxi rather than find a busstop.

I am a stranger in Cambridge. And I have come so ill-prepared, I don't even have a map of the town. Unheard of in my travelling history. And in the dark it will be triply difficult- finding the salmon-coloured English faculty in the morning was quite an adventure in broad day-light. I missed the talk of the professor from Leeds, is that why he spurns every attempt at conversation I make and turns his head towards the Southafrican professor? I do my Southafrican trick. I tell her I have never met a black Southafrican. I tell her that I have even met someone from Swaziland and he was the blondest guy ever.

Anyway, I am pleased with the company of the Austrian beauty and the Southafrican prof who listens to my old tricks with Ottoman composure. I like her.

All those present, it turns out, will be staying in Cambridge that night. So I pack bags and make a move. First the train into London, and then to what seems to be a longer journey into Bromley.

The Bromley library, or rather the librarian, that's still another story...

1 comment:

Lonely Feet said...

You have a very lucid, flowing style to describing scenes, and in these little scenes you portray you kind of build up our tension and leave us there...

you must sit down and write a complete story. I am waiting for that.

and where's your eliot, I want to see that.

all the best with Pamuk