Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Zauberberg

In search for something 'classical' I started to read what my library offered, in English. Was it Rhys who said that she wanted to read a novel where there are big houses and servants and a family to reckon with. I got such a feeling, and here I am.

So here's Mann:
"Space, rolling and revolving between him and his native heath possessed and wielded the powers we generally ascribe to time."

then we wander how these people come up with terms like "Verzeitlichung des Raums"

2 comments:

Lonely Feet said...

I am so glad you are finally reading this book....we shall have loads to talk about when you get back woman!!!!

There will be more of "Verräumlichung der Zeit" and vice versa....wait till you get to chapter seven...that is one of the best piece of prose writing ever.

reading your post finds me sitting today morning, reading my favourite parts of the book, conujuring up memories of 2003, university, musty wood smell, and over tea, and the lazy fan on top of my head, and my favourite professor, closing her eyes, head turned upwards talking to me about Mann, Germany, Vienna, and me, listening to her fascinated and not wanting the classes to end....

thankyou for stirring the feeling again.

xxx

nagihun said...

you made me :-)
and to top things I am using your 'wear the old coat buy the new book' bookmark